Thursday, November 19, 2015

TRM Blog Hop: 25 Questions

Yay for filler posts. This one comes from That Red Mare

1. Mares or Geldings? Why?
Either. Most of the mares I have met have been fairly even tempered. But I've also met some moody geldings. It all depends on the individual

2. Green-broke or Fully Broke?
Right now, I much prefer fully broke. I don't so much mind a horse that needs some refreshers, but he needs to have a good head.

3. Would you own a "hotter" breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc).
Probably not. I prefer my drafty types.

4. What was your "dream horse" growing up?
Palominos. Then I grew to love the chestnut with flaxen mane.  Haflingers for the win!

5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why?
Max just goes in a double jointed eggbutt with copper lozenge. I've read that the double joints can be a bit better for haflingers that tend to have low palates. I would like to try others, but just don't have the time or money right now to be buying them.






Just add some copper.


6. Helmets or no helmets?
Helmet.

7. Favorite horse color?
A nice golden palomino or chestnut (with flaxen manes)

8. Least favorite horse color?
Plain brown, or black. Black seems to attract more bugs in summer.

9. Dressage or Jumping?
Right now I don't really do either, but I could see myself enjoying jumping more.

10. How many years have you been riding?
On and off for about 10.

11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip?
No spurs. Occasionally I ride with a crop. Half the time it's because I want to work on something specific that requires extra reach. The other times it's used to flick flies off his ears.

12. Your first fall?
I was riding bareback and was trying to mount from the ground. I managed to lay across her back, but swung my leg over too hard and flipped over onto the ground. Pony just gave me a look and started grazing.

13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
It's been a few weeks. We just puttered around the paddock bareback and went over the teeter totter. I think we worked on some leg yielding too



The yak is here, the snow is coming sooner than I like.



14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
My western saddle simply because I bought it new.
15. How old were you when you started riding?
Not any real riding until I was in my early 20s

16. Leather or Nylon halters?
Nylon. It's easier to care for I guess.

17. Leather or Synthetic saddles?
Synthetic. I'm lazy and don't show. I also don't want to worry about getting the saddle wet when out on a trail ride.

 18. What "grip" of reins do you like?
Webbed or something else synthetic. I have some cotton reins I really like.

19. English or Western?
I lesson in english, but prefer a western saddle for trail riding (for the most part, that's another post altogether I think). I would also like to learn how to properly ride western.

20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?
Just Max

21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?
Max is kept at home, so his care is 100% up to me.

22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
I haven't had to put one of my own down yet. Several I have known have passed away.

23. How many saddlepads do you have?
One western pad and I might still have an english pad if the mice haven't eaten it yet.

24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
I have a slant load and like the way it loads better.

25. Why do you ride?
It makes me a happier person. It still amazes me that we can form this kind of partnership with an animal.

2 comments:

  1. The bit you posted is exactly the one I'm on the hunt for!! Glad you joined in on the hop :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!