Friday, January 9, 2015

TOABH: Fave

From The Owls Approve: 

What is your horse's absolute favorite thing?  Outside of riding!  Are there treats that instantly convert your pony into an addict or liniments that leave him yawning and chewing?  What does your horse just love to have?

Hands down, Max's favorite thing is food. More specifically his grain.  This shouldn't be a surprise given that he is a Haflinger. However, he is surprising picky about what he will eat.  He loves his daily grain. So mush so that he will give up pasture time to get it. Last weekend, I put Max out in the pasture for a few minutes while I gave Cindy her grain, put grain in his bucket and did a few small chores. As I was scrubbing buckets, I realized he was pacing the fence line trying to get my attention. He wanted go to back in and get his grain.  He almost charged through the electric fence before I had a chance to open the line for him to get through.

No treats and a goofy hat = no love from the pony

Max also loves apples and carrots, but seemed confused when I've offered him peppermints in the past. He enjoys them now, but not as much as his grain. Cookies (for people), chips, other random stuff I've offered, he has said no to.

Max also loves a good scratching, especially on his neck and withers. But will take food over scratching.

2 comments:

  1. Archie won't touch peppermints, but he loves this peppermint-scented treat thing. I don't understand it.

    Also, love your blog name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny he won't eat peppermints. Horses sure can be odd.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!