Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bad Rides

Monday was sunny and "warm" (mid 20s (F)) when I got home from work, so I decided to go on a quick ride before the weather turned bad.We got out to the far end of the pasture and he would not stand still, so I circled.  Then a car went by and he took that opportunity to spook and bolt towards the barn.  I was riding bareback without a pad (extra sticky) and came off pretty quickly.  Falling into 10 inches of snow really helped to break my fall. I only tweaked my back a bit.


Naughty pony has to work.

I'm fairly certain his bad behavior was a combination of wanting to avoid the extra work stepping in the snow required, and being impatient for his dinner.  I decided to lunge him for a bit and he acted like a fool a couple of times.  Normally he goes really well when I lunge him in a bit, but he must have hit himself in the mouth a few times. When he was calmer and actually listening to me, I got back on and we walked some circles in the pasture, got him to stand still and was done. 

Naughty pony stands still long enough for me to take a picture.
 When stuff like this happens, my confidence really takes a hit. I'm not sure I did the right thing. I also worry that he just learned that spinning and bolting gets him back to the barn and will try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!